Friday, August 29, 2008

DiffMerge

DiffMerge is a wonderful diff tool for files and folders. And it's free! I actually changed my Perforce default tool (p4diff) to use it, since it shows whitespace and per-character differences.

I've heard people recommend WinMerge too, but I think I can't do folders. On some things I'm working on, I need to check if code or assembly files changed between folders...

My only complaint is that it doesn't do diffs on binary files. Shame! It'd be the greatest tool ever if it did show the hex values like on a Hex Editor and the strings, and mark the differences...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, you can compare folders.

You might also want to try kdiff3 (Windows port available too)

Also, you might want to check out this list of tools:
http://www.ganssle.com/tools.htm#Difftools